Today I saw a mouse's tail

image ©Kobiart
Sometimes when I am out running with Kroi he jumps into the grass and pretends that he is hunting mice.  He tells me that he catches lots but I have never seen him catching one so I think he is playing make believe.  He does find bits of string sometimes as I see a little bit of it sticking out from his mouth.  He is a silly husky because only cats chase balls of string, not boy huskies!

Kroft told me that he once caught a mouse and that Kade used to catch them all the time.  But one time a mouse got its revenge and bit Kade’s tongue, which made him cry and throw the mouse away.  The mouse then scampered away to tell its family of the day it took on a husky…

Kez says that we shouldn’t catch mice because Lady Human gets upset and he doesn’t like when she is sad.  Kroi says we shouldn’t listen to his big brother as all proper huskies hunt little furry creatures.  Our ancestors in far off lands had to take care of themselves and find their own food, which meant that they had to hunt their own dinner!  I think Lady and Man Human must do all the hunting for us as they come home with our dinner in big boxes.  I don’t know what they do with all the fur because it isn’t there when we eat it.  I wonder if they eat the fur before they come home, yeuchh!

Apparently the reason that we are not allowed off lead in the countryside is because only the humans are allowed to hunt the big furry creatures that live there.   Kroi says we will not get into trouble if we hunt little furry things, but we must leave the big furry ones alone.  Sometimes he forgets this and Lady Human gets cross when he tries to make her chase the big furry things too…

Anyway, something really exciting happened today!  I was out running with Lady Human on a grassy path with long grass on the side.  I suddenly heard a noise and jumped into the long grass to listen closer.  Lady Human stopped running and loosened my lead.  I stopped jumping and listened.  There it was again, it was a rustling noise like something little was moving in the grass.  I pounced where the noise came from and it stopped.  Then I heard the noise and pounced again.  I could smell something too.  It smelled like the smell of the balls of string that Kroi sometimes eats… 

I got really excited as I tried to jump on the smell of the ball of string.  I was playing make believe like Kroi does and today I was pretending that I was a cat.  Lady Human was laughing as I played and it made me happy, so I kept on pretending that I was a cat pouncing on a ball of string….

Then I saw it!  I saw a little piece of string moving towards the wall and with one huge leap I pounced on it.  I wasn’t quick enough and it disappeared into a teeny, weeny hole in the wall.

When we got back home I told the boy huskies all about my fun playing with a ball of string.  Kroi started laughing and when I asked him to tell me why he was laughing, Kez told me to go and speak to Krofti.  I went to where Krofti was sleeping and politely asked him if he knew why Kroi had laughed at me.

Krofti yawned and looked up at me from where he lay.  “Lara, Kroi was laughing because he knows how much fun you had today chasing mice.  Those little bits of string are mice’s tails.  You are a proper husky that is why you enjoy hunting and chasing.  You don’t need to pretend to be a cat.  Just be who you are”.

Krofti is very old and very wise and so what he says must be true.  I really did see a mouse’s tail today.  So cool, maybe next time I will see the rest of the mouse…….

Lara xx

No comments:

Post a Comment