Lara the Arctic Explorer


Me looking all pensive
I am no longer “Lara the Lady Husky”, I am “Lara the Arctic Explorer” and I have been on a big adventure….

We woke up one morning and outside there was white stuff everywhere.  It was cold and fluffy and so much fun to run in.  I could jump in it, roll in it and even eat it!  The garden looked just like the place where the polar bears live. We watched them one time on the flat box with moving pictures that talks to you.  Krofti told me that the white stuff was snow and it had fallen from the sky just like rain, but because it was so cold it had frozen and turned all fluffy.  Sometimes little pieces of white fluffy stuff just like snow falls out of the big food box in the kitchen, the one where our food hides.

Look at me, I can fly!!
I played for hours in the snow with the boy huskies and Man Human kept on asking me to do things while he lay down in the snow with a little box with a big tube that he kept pointing at me.  It made clicky noises every time I whizzed by.  Kroi told me that he was trying to shoot me but I was too fast.  Kroi says silly things sometimes because I know that the Man Human likes me a lot and he wouldn’t want to shoot me.  He sometimes tries to shoot Krofti with a water gun to try and make him stop singing, but Krofti is too clever and he always misses.  I think Man Human wants to be a husky because he looked really cold and he couldn’t move his human paws after put the box and tube thing away…..

After we had played for ages, Lady Human took me running with the boy huskies.  She kept on saying the “steady” word, but we all ignored her because it was too much fun trying to run really quickly in the snow.  We tried to help by pulling her forward to make her run faster, but she looked all wobbly and kept on making weird noises.  Humans are funny when they run in the snow – they only put their back paws in the snow and wave their front paws around a lot.  They should use all four paws then they wouldn’t fall over so much.

A penguin that takes speed ....
There were lots of little birds and some didn’t want to fly and waddled away from us on the snow.  They looked like little penguins on speed, it was really funny watching them.  The boy huskies and I all tried to catch them, but Lady Human got really grumpy and told us to stop.  Kez and Kroi stopped trying to chase them and Kez jumped on me when I didn’t want to stop.  Kez told me that they were game birds and we would get into trouble, but I didn’t believe him because those little birds obviously didn’t want to play games with us….. 

We didn’t see any more penguins on speed, but I did see a big red cat with a very pointy nose and a big bushy tail.  I smelled it first because it was really pongy, and Kez and Kroi smelled it too.  Lady Human made us stop and she crouched down on the snow, which seemed really silly as she doesn’t have a tail to keep her bottom warm.  She kept on telling us to stay, but I didn’t want to as I wanted to follow this smell.  Kez and Kroi went over to see why Lady Human was sitting in the snow and as soon as they did that the smell got stronger and this pointy nosed cat ran across the field really quickly.  I tried to run after it but Lady Human was too heavy for me to pull across the field.  Kroi tried to help me, but Kez being such a mummy’s boy stayed where he was and then shouted at Kroi and jumped on him so Kroi stopped helping me.  The pointy cat disappeared and Lady Human started running again.

We ran up a very steep hill with a little ditch in the middle.  There were big bushes on either side of the path and lots of rabbits kept on jumping across the path.  It was really exciting and Lady Human was trying to run really fast to keep up with us.  She laughed a lot and sounded all huffy and puffy.  Then this really white bird suddenly swooped down in front of us.  I had never seen a bird like it before and it didn’t make any noise as it flew along in front of us.  It had fluttery wings like a squeaky bat, but much bigger and really white.  I tried to run as fast as it was flying, but Lady Human was too slow and it flew over the bushes and disappeared.

I decided to run slower as the boy huskies looked tired.  They think that they are faster than me and can run further than me and I don’t want to upset them by showing off too much.  So I pretend that I am tired, but I am not really….

What a  polar bear really looks like....
We saw some more penguins on speed, but they were too far away and as I watched them a big growly dog suddenly appeared.  It was big and white and looked like a ferocious polar bear.  It leapt at Kroi, but Lady Human jumped in front of the polar bear and shouted at it.  Kez hid behind Lady Human and I tried to hide in the snow by lying down and making myself really small.  The polar bear kept on growling and Kroi tried to shout at it while hiding behind Lady Human.  I think Lady Human growled the scariest because the polar bear didn’t try to hurt Kroi again and just stood there muttering under its breath.  Then this lady appeared and captured the polar bear with a lasso.  I got up from my hiding place in the snow and watched the unfriendly polar bear being dragged away as the lady said something about “never done that before”…. 

Leaping after the caribou...
We ran some more and as we ran down the hill where the badgers live some deer came charging out of the woods.  I got really excited again and so did the boy huskies.  Lady Human tried to make us stop running but we all ignored her and kept on running.  The deer looked like caribou running across the open snow land.   Our favourite food is deer and caribou must taste even better.  Our food lives in a big ice box before we eat it so perhaps we were now living in the world’s biggest ice box and our dinner was waiting for us.  I looked across at the two boy huskies and asked them if they wanted to play a game.  A game called “let’s pretend we are wolves”.  Their husky smiles said it all and off we ran, wolves in pursuit of caribou as Lady Human finally learned how to fly………


Lara xx

(Photos courtesy of Sandra Bowers, Ian J Berry & Wikipedia)


1 comment:

  1. Do you have any advice for new comer huskies for long distance running? have you ever worn booties to protect your paws?

    -One very active 1-year old husky: Zulu

    ReplyDelete