Spike's Magical Gift

This is my "bored" face...
Today I made a promise to a stranger.  In return for a promise to be a good boy I have been bestowed a very special gift….

For those that don’t yet know me… my name is Spike and I am a 9 month old husky.  I am not very well just now and it is hard for me to run around and have fun like huskies are supposed to do.  I have to lie down a lot as my legs hurt.  The best place to lie down is on top of humans ‘cos they are soft and squidgy and cuddle me lots when I fall asleep on them.

Not being able to run around and play means I get bored.  The humans give me lots of toys and stuff to play with and sometimes they give me toys with food in them!  They are my most favourite toys but I eat the food too quickly and then I get bored.
The lady human goes running really early in the morning with my husky friends and leaves me behind.  This makes me really sad, but I don’t like being sad and so play with all my toys and then I feel happy again.  Sometimes I fall asleep before the other huskies come back from their run because they go running for a very long time!!
The special boy husky
Anyway, the other day I fell asleep while they were out and had a really funny dream…
I was sitting in my cage, but I wasn’t alone.  There was another boy husky beside me.  He was brown like Kez but his face was different and he was much smaller with big ears like mine. 

I got really scared and tried to shout upstairs to the man human to help me – I get scared when strange dogs come to close to me.  The brown dog made a soft “whoo, whoo” noise and told me not to be scared, he was here to help me.  He had a really nice voice and when I looked into his eyes I was not scared any more.

“What are you doing in my box” I asked him.  “And how can you help me?  Are you going to put more food in my toy?”

He “whoo, whoo’d” again and his eyes smiled at me.  He said he brought no food, but could offer something better than food.  Now he had my full attention as what can possibly be better than food?
He told me a very special story that made me very sad, but very happy too.  He told me all about his life.  People had been really bad to him when he was a baby, but he was rescued and came to live in a very special home and with a very special family.  They helped make him better and helped him learn to love life.  He learned how to run and how to play.  With this family he was truly happy, especially with the lady human as she made him feel very special.  In return he taught her a great many things that will remain with her forever…

His words were magical and intriguing.  I did not fully understand what he was telling me, but I knew to trust him.  He spoke of “trust” of “hope” and of “belief”, words I do not understand but I want to as they sounded like very special words.
She will help you, he said, just like she helped me, but it will take time.  You are young and have the rest of your life ahead of you.  Do as she asks and this life will be a happy one where you run and jump to your heart’s content.  You will join the other huskies on their daily runs.  Run for hours and hours as huskies are born to do.  You will feel pain no more, only happiness and fun.
You will need to be patient as this day will take a while to arrive.  Many suns will rise and fall, but the day will one day come.
Cuddling humans
His words confused me, but I nodded and asked him what I needed to do until this day arrived.
If you promise to be a good boy, I will give you a very special gift that will help the time pass quickly.  It will allow you to look deep into a humans mind and learn all that they know.  It will allow you to share these thoughts with others and it will allow you to help many, including yourself.

Without hesitation I made the promise to him.

I then got really excited and threw my head back to howl as huskies do…. And when I stopped howling I looked around and the boy husky was gone and in his place was the man human –well, he was not in the cage with me, but outside looking very concerned and asking if I was okay.  He opened the cage and I snuggled up to him.  Did I mention that I love cuddles…?

I felt sad that the boy husky left before he gave me my gift, but somehow I know that I will see him again….

Spike


No comments:

Post a Comment